Saturday, November 9, 2013

Neighborhood Toy Store Day!


The Whoo Hoo factor of Neighborhood Toy Store Day!

 
"If I have one complaint about my neighborhood toy store, it’s impossible to just run into the store for a quick errand. There’s always a new amazing toy find (something you won’t find in any Target or Toys-R-Us), catch up conversations (“How is J liking preschool? Did the new math game work?), or the latest community service project to learn about.

That’s also why I love it. They know me. They know my family. They know my older child hates scary monsters and the color brown -- and flips for anything in the shape of a horse. They know my younger child has special medical issues and purposefully look for (and let me know about) toys that will support his development.

Unlike Big Box shops, our local toy store is an anchor thread in the fabric that makes up our community. Staff members live in our community. The owners have a vested interest in seeing our community -- schools, parks, businesses -- thrive and provide opportunities for linking neighbors economically and socially. The store gives back to our community in a multitude of ways. It provides a living for employees who live and work in our community, champions the causes of local non-profits and school groups, and works in partnership with other locally-owned businesses.

An added bonus? They wrap. Beautifully. Quickly. You can stop and get a gift en route to the birthday party without spending an extra $10 on the right-sized bag and tissue paper.

According to my four-year-old, she’d much rather spend a few hours at “Miss Claudia’s store” than go to the playground.

"Because, Mom, you get to play with everything!”

That’s reason enough to love the store, right?"

No comments:

Post a Comment